Sony's PlayStation brand of gaming consoles has already been an amazing hit but now the lineup has been crying for an update and after a long wait and a lot of rumors, Sony has finally heard the wishes of its fans. They have announced the latest in the PS lineup, the PlayStation 4 at the February 20 launch as it was being expected from them.
Sony has decided to use an 8 Core AMD X86-64 'Jaguar' processor with an integrated 8 core GPU. The GPU is said to be able to deliver 1.84 TeraFLOPS of performance. GPU will have about 8GB DDR5 VRAM and about 176GB/s bandwidth which in total pegs it at about AMD Radeon 7870 Desktop version. It will also have a built-in Hard Drive, and a 6x Blu-Ray and 8x DVD optical drive. Sony has gone all the way in connectivity department by including USB 3.0 ports, Ethernet port, 802.11 b/g/n wi-fi support, Bluetooth 2.1, HDMI port, analog AV-ouput and optical S/PDIF audio ouput.
As far as the controller goes, PS4 will be featuring the new DualShock 4 controller. It has a two-point capacitive trackpad above the joystick and a 3 color LED light bar on the top which changes color to identify player as well as display player status. It also features a three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer, vibration, mono speaker, stereo headset port, micro USB, extension port and a 1000 mAh battery.
Sony is equipping the PS 4 with a 3D camera setup that has 2 1280 X 800 resolution cameras with fixed focus f/2.0 lens, 30 cm minimum focusing distance, 85 degrees of field of view and 4-channel microphone array. These cameras will track the blue light bar in the controllers as they move while gaming which is similar to how cameras did with the PS 3 Move gaming controller.
Apart from these Sony has added a bunch of new features in the PS 4 console. Here is a list for you.
- Ability to stream PS4 games to the PSVita. Sony is aiming to offer virtually every PS4 game on the PSVita through streaming in the future.
- Ability to play games while they are downloading.
- Ability to stream games, thanks to the Gaikai cloud based service. This could be used in future to stream PS3, PS2 and PSOne games to the PS4.
- Ability to try any new game before purchasing.
- Ability to record and upload game videos while playing games. The processing is done by a separate background processor. You can view videos uploaded by other players.
- Ability to download games and updates while the console is switched off using the background processor.
- Brand new interface for the PS4 as well as the PSVita.
- New iOS and Android PlayStation App will let you use your smartphone as a second screen to view game details as well as view videos and other content uploaded by other gamers.
There will be no backward compatibility of PS 4 titles on the PS 3 because of the use of new architecture. Gaikai cloud service remains the only hope but it hasn't been officially announced as of yet. As far as gaming titles for the PS 4 goes, a handful of titles have been confirmed. These are 'KillZone: Shadow Fail', 'inFAMOUS: Second Son', 'Destiny' by Bungie Studios, 'Deep Down' (still a working title) by Capcom, 'Knack', 'DriveClub', 'The Witness', Diable III' and 'Watch Dogs' by Ubisoft.
Sony has released two videos to mark this announcement. The first video is a teaser trailer of the capabilites of the PlayStation 4 and the second video is an Apple styled announcement video for the PlayStation 4. Here you go with them.
Sony hasn't yet revealed what the console will look like or how deep hole will it make in your pockets when it is launched but it is already starting to build a fan following for its PlayStation 4 console and it looks like will be a hit when it is released.