Apple is the company whose step-in resulted in the popularity of the app stores. Every ecosystem now has a dedicated app store and the content on it has become one of the major selling points. With the year 2012 coming to an end, every pioneer company launches its best of 2012 report. Google just released its Zeitgeist 2012 to aggregate the way world searched in 2012 and as a clockwork, Apple has also launched its Best of 2012 section in its iTunes application.
Action Movie FX is the iPhone app of the year and the iPad app of the year was bagged by Paper(by FiftyThree). There are many sub categories too like casual games and fun runners.
Although you can check out the winners of each category and sub-category but here is a compiled list for some main categories.
Editor's Choice iPhone
- Best Artist: Frank Ocean
- Best Album: Shields by Grizzly Bear
- Best Song: We are Young by Fun and Janelle Monae
- Breakthrough Album: The Lumineers
- Best Blockbuster: The Avengers
- Best Director: Wes Anderson for Moonrise Kingdom
- Best Discovery: Beasts of the Southern Wild
- Best Star-Making Performance: Jennifer Lawrence in Hunger Games
- Best Show: Breaking Bad
- Best Episode: Homeland - The Weekend
- Best Debut: Girls
- Best Cast: Happy Endings
- Best Book: The Dog Stars by Peter Heller
- Best Non-fiction: Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo
- Best Young Adult Novel: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
- Best Multi-Touch Book: Fashion by D K Publishing